[Live-devel] Live555 performance numbers

Jeff Shanab jshanab at smartwire.com
Thu Jan 10 05:21:08 PST 2013

 I can only give a few data points. A lot depends on the bandwidth per stream.
I receive and save to disk from security cameras. These are, on avg, set for 10fps d1(704x480)
On one desktop PC I7-950, 12G ram and Solid-state drive I was testing my software thruput. A rather high end machine to eliminate it as a variable.
I received 400 streams and wrote to disk, The limit was the single gigibit network connection.

I routinely record 20-50 streams on a mini PC. bookend PC with notebook drive.

Same software. Architecture is multi-threaded running up to 60 streams per thread/environment.
Live555 uses an event loop and the 60 came from the Windows limitation on WaitForMultipleObjects since removed.