[Live-devel] Unhandled exception during TEARDOWN

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jan 23 14:05:04 PST 2013

> The crashes are very consistent. Not the frequency, but the location. When they occur, 602 is always the last message printed. I've attached an output example. Judging by the callstack it almost looks to me like the printf would be the cause, but the same thing happens if I remove the debug output, i.e. 602, and 601 etc.
>
> This however makes no sense at all. What is causing the sudden app crash? I see no explanation at all in the code.

I suspect that a 'memory smash' - i.e., a write through a bad pointer (caused by a bug in the code) - is to blame.  If that happens, then a pointer somewhere else might be getting corrupted, which could lead to an error like this that occurs in an unexpected place in the code.

I suggest that you run a 'memory debugger' on your application.  See
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_debugger

Some tools that I've seen recommended are
- "Dr. Memory":	http://code.google.com/p/drmemory/
- "OllyDbg":		http://ollydbg.de/

> I would also suspect threads going havoc, but as liveMedia is single-threaded that shouldn't be the case.

Correct - provided, of course, that your *application* uses only a single thread (that calls LIVE555 code).

> It definitely seems like the server matters. How can that be?

Perhaps it's because the different servers (streams) use different codecs (and thus our RTSP client code uses different classes to receive/process the incoming packets)?

I see (from the SDP descriptions returned in response to "DESCRIBE") that the stream(s) that are causing your crash are using motion JPEG.  What about the "Axis 243q" streams (the ones that you think do not cause the crash)?  What codec do they use?  (Please post a SDP description from those streams.)