[Live-devel] Noob wandering

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jan 28 15:31:40 PST 2013

>> Based on the testRTSPClient example, I've gotten a stable RTSP connection working on my target platform; in this case to a video+audio RTSP source.  But, now I'm struggling to figure out the next step.  My custom MediaSink classes do not receive any frame data via afterGettingFrame()
>
> That is the first thing that you should fix.  Note that when the (non-static) "DummySink::afterGettingFrame()" function ("testRTSPClient.cpp", lines 479-500) is called, a complete frame will have already been delivered into "fReceiveBuffer".
>
> That's my first problem then - I should have been more clear, in my case, that function is not getting called at all.  I'm not debugging the original project, as that appears to exit immediately after proving that it can set up a connection (maybe I've chosen a bad test source? "rtsp://media1.law.harvard.edu/Media/policy_a/2012/02/02_unger.mov").

That stream is OK; however it works only if you request RTP-over-TCP streaming (in your call to "RTSPClient::sendSetupCommand()".  (That server is apparently behind a firewall that blocks UDP packets.)

Instead, try the following (audio-only) stream, which works:
	rtsp://64.202.98.91:554/sog.sdp

> Maybe you should begin by explaining what it is specifically that you're trying to do...
>
> I'd love to say more, but I'm prohibited from going into too much detail to a public mailing list.

OK, fair enough.  However, if your questions are deliberately vague, then don't be surprised if you don't get a response.  (Also, I hope your employer is OK with you using Open Source, LGPL'd software in your project :-)

Note also that if if you want to ask 'private' questions (i.e., not on this mailing list), then I am available for consulting (e.g., in an advisory role).  But if you want to ask questions about this software 'for free', then you'll need to do so using this mailing list.