[Live-devel] Am I accidentally H.264 encoding twice???

temp2010 at forren.org temp2010 at forren.org
Thu Jan 31 14:42:17 PST 2013

Am I accidentally H.264 encoding twice?  I have a monstrosity combination
of media foundation and live555.  It manages to send IP video out, and VLC
receives it.  But the quality is bad.

I have code that was a 555 test program, that I modified to make my own sub
thread.  I have a MF_H264_DeviceSource class that I derived
from DeviceSource per 555 FAQ advice.

I have H264VideoDeviceStreamer class that I derived
from testH264VideoStreamer main program.

At the bottom of H264VideoDeviceStreamer (from testH264VideoStreamer), I
changed a reference to ByteStreamFileSource to my MF_H264_DeviceSource.
 This then feeds H264VideoStreamFramer which goes into a play function.

WHAT?  Just a while ago I realized I'm passing H.264 encoded buffers to
H264VideoStreamFramer, which is perhaps doubly encoding them to H.264 again.

Am I accidentally H.264 encoding twice?  Does the original
ByteStreamFileSource fed to H264VideoStreamFramer feed raw buffers to
H264VideoStreamFramer?  If so, I need to feed raw buffers to
H264VideoStreamFramer as well.  And then, doe H264VideoStreamFramer do the
H264 encoding for me?

Well, I tried removing the potentially doubled H.264 encoding from my side,
but then VLC seems to receive nothing.  Do note that VLC seems very
forgiving, so I was thinking the receiving but bad quality was because VLC
was forgiving and adaptable enough that it managed to play my
doubly-encoded H.264.

??

Any help is greatly appreciated.