[Live-devel] Memory leaks in RTPInterface

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 2 18:28:05 PDT 2013

> I know your stance on memory leaks

No you don't :-)

> In the SocketDescriptor destructor, the HashTable::Iterator* “iter” is never deleted.

Yes - that was an oversight on my part.  It will be fixed in the next release of the software.

> In SocketDescriptor::deregisterRTPInterface, the fDeleteMyselfNext member is set to “true”, but (for me at least), the tcpReadHandler function is never called again, and so the SocketDescriptor deletion never happens.  I believe this was changed from “delete this;” in version 2013.04.29 or 2013.04.30 to avoid crashing if the tcpReadHandler is about to execute just after the socket descriptor is deleted.
>
> A fix that works here and does not result in a memory leak is to change the fDeleteMyselfNext back to “delete this;”

No, I can't do that, because if that code happens to be called while we're inside "tcpReadHandler1()" - i.e., while we're inside this loop:

	while (!socketDescriptor->fDeleteMyselfNext && socketDescriptor->tcpReadHandler1(mask) && --count > 0) {}

then the code will crash the next time it tries to dereference "socketDescriptor" to test the loop condition.

However, do you raise a valid point: If "SocketDescriptor::deregisterRTPInterface()" happens to be called when we're *not* inside "tcpReadHandler1(), then (with the current code) the "SocketDescriptor" object won't get deleted.  I'll add a fix for this (different from the one that you suggested) to the next release of the code.