[Live-devel] Why does groupsock bind to 0.0.0.0 for streamers?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jun 4 18:08:04 PDT 2013

> Ultimately, I don't see why it needs to call bind() at all in this program since a UDP sender is just tossing packets out onto the network.  It's not receiving anything.

Yes it is.  It's also receiving RTCP "RR" reports from receiving clients.

> We made a one-line change to Live555 (see attached patch) and it fixes the symptom for us.  It seems like a reasonable change to me, but I'm not sure it isn't some kind of overreach.

No, I'm reluctant to make any changes to the 'groupsock' code, because (1) these always seem to unintended side effects (breaking some people's applications, and/or Windoze code somewhere), and (2) the plan is for the 'groupsock' library to be complete replaced at some point in the future: http://live555.com/funded-projects/live555-ipv6.html