[Live-devel] Handle carriage return/line feed in base64Decode

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Jun 23 16:37:32 PDT 2013

> I recently came across a client who sends our LIVE555 based RTSP server an HTTP message with a base64 encoded RTSP command that contains CR/LF.  It seems fairly standard for a base64 decoder to support CR/LF, at least on 4 char boundaries, so I wrote up a patch to base64Decode to allow this.  Then I discovered how the fragmented base64 message reading  is implemented in RTSPServer and determined that the fix would not be so simple.

Rather than put CR/LF (or other whitespace) removal inside the Base-64 decoding routine, we can just add a whitespace-removing pass to the "RTSPServer" code, before we call "base64Decode()".  I'll add this change to the next release of the code.

> Note that the client (not under my control) is using a very old version of LIVE555, but that is irrelevant to the test being performed

Yes, though note that - in at least one respect - this client is under your control (or perhaps more accurately, under *my* control).  Under the terms of the LGPL, the developers of this client must - when requested by you (or whoever owns the client) - update it to use the latest version of the LIVE555 code, or else provide a way for the owner to update it themself.

If anyone is using an application that is using an old version of the LIVE555 code, they should ask the application's developer to upgrade it.  If they refuse (or ignore) your request, let me know, and I'll get in touch with them, reminding them of their legal obligations.