[Live-devel] Is there any plan to suport "ANNOUNCE" command?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Jun 24 00:46:26 PDT 2013

"RTSPClient" has a member function that allows clients to send RTSP "ANNOUNCE" commands.  However, our servers do not (and probably never will) handle incoming "ANNOUNCE" commands - because it was a poorly designed (and barely and inconsistently implemented) feature of the protocol.  (Note that it was removed from the proposed "RTSP 2.0" upgrade of the protocol, for this reason.)

There's no need to 'inject' a stream's SDP description (nor stream data itself) into a server, because we already have a perfectly good mechanism for getting stream information and data - from a "rtsp://" URL, via the usual RTSP "DESCRIBE" command.

A much better mechanism is just to 'inject' a "rtsp://" URL - and this is what our new "REGISTER" command does.  You should use this instead.  See http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2013-June/017112.html