[Live-devel] Full HD Contents. trickplay question (with VLC)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jun 27 16:01:17 PDT 2013

> I had already conducted a test with VLC Media Player before testing with STB. (VLC v.2.0.6 and VLC v2.0.7)
>
> As you can see original file, 2x file is not animated as original file and 4x file is somehow animated but looks quite unnatural.
> Could you please check it out again?

Yes, I see the problem that you're referring to, but unfortunately I can't figure out specifically what's wrong with the videos.  So I hope someone on this mailing list (with expertise in H.264/Transport Stream video) can help diagnose the problem.

I have put the example files online at
	http://www.live555.com/ChunMyung/

Note the file "ChunMyung1.ts".  This file was created by applying 'trick play' to the original file, with a scale factor of 1 - i.e., by running:
	testMPEG2TransportStreamTrickPlay ChunMyung.ts 0 1 ChunMyung1.ts
Because our 'trick play' works by using I-frames only, this file effectively consists just of the i-frames from the original file.  If you play this file in VLC, you can see that the I-frames freeze starting at about the 10 second mark, and do not resume until about the 1 minute mark.  Does anyone know why?

For another illustration of this, note the file "ChunMyung1-30.ts".  This file was created by applying 'trick play' to the original file, with a scale factor of 1, but starting at the 30 second mark - i.e., by running:
	testMPEG2TransportStreamTrickPlay ChunMyung.ts 30 1 ChunMyung1-30.ts
If you play this file in VLC, you can see that the video is 'empty' until about the 30 second mark (i.e., corresponding to about 1 minute into the original video).  Does anyone know why?