[Live-devel] Breaking change

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Mar 11 07:22:18 PDT 2013

> I am updating live555 from 2012.2.29 to 2013.03.07 and found a change in Boolean.hh that breaks my build. From reading the changelog, I think this is recent.
>
> The line
>     “ #define Boolean bool “

No, it's *not* recent; it's almost 9 months old!  From the changelog:

2012.06.12:
- Updated "UsageEnvironment/include/Boolean.hh" to use the 'bool' type defined for "MSVC++ 8.0, Visual Studio 2005 and higher",
  if that development environment is being used.  Also, fixed a few places in the code where we were using boolean types
  incorrectly.  (Thanks to Nikolai Vorontsov for these suggestions.)

> Overwrites a class name in boost  (move.cpp)  where there is a class with the name Boolean

Here is the current contents of "UsageEnvironment/include/Boolean.hh".  Feel free to propose a change that you think works for you (and is not likely to break for everyone else, for which this existing code works!):

#if defined(__BORLANDC__)  ||  (defined(_MSC_VER) &&  _MSC_VER >= 1400)    // MSVC++ 8.0, Visual Studio 2005 and higher
#define Boolean bool
#define False false
#define True true
#else
typedef unsigned char Boolean;
#ifndef __MSHTML_LIBRARY_DEFINED__
#ifndef False
const Boolean False = 0;
#endif
#ifndef True
const Boolean True = 1;
#endif
#endif
#endif

>  In the past I have had this collide with libavcodec.

Huh?  Why are you compiling "libavcodec" code with our header files?

> So I end up modifying this file every time I upgrade.

If you modifiy the supplied code, you can expect *no* support on this mailing list!

> Is the problem  a tough one to fix for live555?

As I noted above, the current "Boolean.hh" has been there for almost 9 months.  Noone else has complained in that time; this (IMHO) calls into question the legitimacy of your complaint.