[Live-devel] Looking for proven mpg test media

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Mar 14 20:40:09 PDT 2013

> I am using LIVE555 Media Server version 0.76 (LIVE555 Streaming Media
> library version 2013.01.03) on CentOS 6.3. It installed and runs fine,
> but I am having a hard time finding test media to verify rtsp. I've
> tried a variety of mpg files, always some kind of problem with it
> (like "StreamParser::parsePESPacket(): saw inconsistent
> PES_packet_length). Some of the file formats it supports, VLC client
> doesn't, and vice versa. Is there proven test media somewhere that
> both of those will like? I saw m4e and others in the FAQ, but VLC
> doesn't understand them.

When you say that VLC "doesn't understand" these files, I presume you mean that VLC can't play these files when you try to play them directly.  (VLC should be able to play the RTSP/RTP stream - using the "rtsp://" URL from the "LIVE555 Media Server".)  This is VLC's fault, not ours.  VLC does not understand many of the filename extensions that our Media Server understands.

However, you can try streaming one or more of the H.264 Elementary Stream files from
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/264/
These files should also be playable by VLC, if you rename them so that they have a ".h264" filename extension, rather than a ".264" filename extension.

You can also download and stream this Transport Stream file:
	http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/public/h264-in-mp2t/bipbop-gear1-all.ts
and that file should also be playable by VLC.