[Live-devel] Synchronize the "RTCP" time using RTSP Range ?

Ralf Globisch rglobisch at csir.co.za
Wed Mar 20 01:17:29 PDT 2013

Michel, I think the probability of loosing the first SR is very minor, SR
packets are relatively small in comparison to the video packets and are
less likely to get dropped by routers. Or do you have any indication
otherwise? Ross's fix should do the trick.

However if you want to decrease that probability further RFC6051(
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6051 ) might be of use.
I'm not sure if it applies here, but from what I recall it's basically an
extension header for RTP that includes an NTP timestamp allowing one to do
as the name says: rapid synchronisation. You could add this extension
header to the first e.g. 5 RTP packets *if* you notice a problem with the
first SR being lost. To be sure read the draft to make sure it applies to
this use case.

> As I said before (and am, I hope, saying for the last time), I'm not
going to be doing anything non-standard here.
@Ross I would say this is a standard-conformant way? Standard conformant
RTP applications *should* ignore the header in any case if the don't
understand it, so it shouldn't break other clients...

@Michel If you do write the extension header and rapid sync code, you could
consider contributing it back to the live555 codebase.

Regards,
Ralf