[Live-devel] H264 dropped P frames

Jeff Shanab jshanab at smartwire.com
Thu May 2 12:08:10 PDT 2013

I have used live555 for years.
I am updated to 2013.04.30.
I tested with OpenRTSP on the command line with old and new versions of live555 and VLC on Linux and Windows, all work.

I am trying to debug an issue with H264 from security cameras and my recorder/restreamer. I am hoping someone can give me an idea of where to look, I have been on this for days(longer). It appears at first debug to be deep in the live555 code; even though, to be honest, that is puzzling :

If I run OpenRTSP on the command line and dump the frames into a file, all the frames are there and I can feed it back into VLC and it plays.
In my code I am missing a lot of the P_FRAMES frame right after the I_FRAME.  I then am randomly missing a few P_FRAMES randomly.

The thing is I instrumented the code and all frames I am called back with in the afterGettingFrame are handled. I just do not get called on some frames. The entire NAL is dropped.  Almost like there is some random drop packet test code going on.

This has been happening for a long time but I now have a camera that is very sensitive to it and instead of occasional artifacts, It is a key frame then grey.

TIA

   Jeff Shanab, Manager-Software Engineering
   D 630.633.4515 | C 630.453.7764 | F 630.633.4815 | jshanab at smartwire.com<mailto:jshanab at smartwire.com>
[MVSSig]

This message and any attachments contain confidential and proprietary information, and may contain privileged information, belonging to one or more affiliates of Windy City Wire Cable & Technology Products, LLC. No privilege is waived by this transmission. Unauthorized use, copying or disclosure of such information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it from your system, destroy any printouts or copies of it, and notify the sender immediately by e-mail or phone.