[Live-devel] doubled framerate necessary to correctly capture RTSP stream using openRTSP

Bob Bischan bbischan at watchtower-security.com
Fri Nov 1 18:49:17 PDT 2013

Almost sounds like an interlaced -vs- non-interlaced video issue...

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM, VTMusicAdmin <admin at music.vt.edu> wrote:

> I am experiencing an issue with openRTSP for which I've not yet been able
> to find an explanation.  If there is a more appropriate forum for this or a
> FAQ I have missed, please let me know.  I'm attempting to use openRTSP to
> capture and record the RTSP stream from an Extron SME-100 live streaming
> hardware encoder.  The encoder is configured with a frame rate / GOP length
> of 30 fps, yet if I set openRTSP with a frame rate of 30 like this:
>
>     openRTSP -d 300 -4 -w 640 -h 360 -f 30 -Q rtsp://URL > test.mp4 (or)
>     openRTSP -d 300 -q -w 640 -h 360 -f 30 -Q rtsp://URL > test.mov
>
> The video is the incorrect speed and does not match the audio.  If
> however, I set openRTSP with a frame rate of 60 with:
>
>     openRTSP -d 300 -4 -w 640 -h 360 -f 60 -Q rtsp://URL > test.mp4 (or)
>     openRTSP -d 300 -q -w 640 -h 360 -f 60 -Q rtsp://URL > test.mov
>
> The video is captured correctly and is synchronous with the audio for the
> duration of the capture.  This is a perfectly viable work-around, but I'm
> curious about why openRTSP only seems to work as expected when set to
> capture at a 2x (actual) frame rate.  Am I misunderstanding something about
> the use of openRTSP or the process by any chance?   Anny insight that can
> be offered into this situation would be greatly appreciated; thank you!
>
> --
> -- Michael Dunston
> -- Music and Technology
> -- School of Performing Arts
> -- Music | Theatre | Cinema
> -- <http://www.music.vt.edu/**technology/<http://www.music.vt.edu/technology/>
> >
> -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Bob Bischan

Manager (Operations/Software Development)

*WATCHTOWER SECURITY, INC.*

2418 Northline Industrial Drive
Maryland Heights, MISSOURI 63043

314 427 4586 office

314 330 9001 cell

314 427 8823 fax

www.watchtower-security.com

*“Protecting your community and those you value most.”*