[Live-devel] QuickTime and RTCP RR packets.

Ken Ferguson ken.ferguson at cubitech.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 01:26:23 PST 2013

Hi all,

I believe I am running into a known issue with QuickTime on the Mac.  And I know this isn't a QuickTime mailing list but please bear with me.

The issue I am seeing is that when QuickTime uses RTSP-over-HTTP it appears not to send RTCP Receiver Report packets.  With the predictable result that after 65 seconds Live555 terminates the session for inactivity.

A quick google search has revealed the following post made in the Apple mailing lists (back in 2007):

    Thanks to Dave Singer and colleagues at Apple for tracking down this issue. It turns out that QuickTime Player does, indeed, have a bug that causes it to - in some circumstances - not send out RTCP "RR" packets.

    Fortunately RTSP servers can work around this bug by ensuring that they always include a "source=" parameter in the response to each RTSP "SETUP" command. According to the RTSP specification, this parameter is optional, but - if present - it will not trigger the QuickTime Player bug

As far as I can tell Live555 *is* sending the "source=" parameter (I've seen it in a Wireshark trace), so in theory I should be avoiding the QuickTime bug.

I'm using a recent version of Live555 (2013.10.25) and trying to play a stream with QuickTime Player (v10.1).

Could anyone confirm that this workaround is still valid? Or indeed is there anything else I should be doing?  I'd just like to get my facts straight before submitting a bug to Apple.

Kind Regards,

Ken Ferguson.