[Live-devel] QuickTime and RTCP RR packets.

Ken Ferguson ken.ferguson at cubitech.co.uk
Wed Nov 6 04:20:38 PST 2013

>> The issue I am seeing is that when QuickTime uses RTSP-over-HTTP it appears not to send RTCP Receiver Report packets.
>
> Yes, this is a bug with QuickTime Player; it's separate from the bug that I noted back in 2007, and occurs only if RTSP-over-HTTP streaming is being used.
>
> You can try submitting a bug to Apple (I already informed a colleague high up in Apple about this problem, back in January 2013), but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to fix this, as QuickTime Player does not appear to be a priority for Apple these days.
>
> Instead, I suggest using VLC as a client (it has an option (Preferences->Interface->Show All->Demuxers->RTP/RTSP) that tells it to request RTSP-over-HTTP streaming).

Hi Ross,

Thank you for the swift reply.  It's good to know at least.

I will at least submit a bug to Apple about it.  One can only hope that one day it will get fixed.

I've already tested with VLC and confirmed that it works. Unfortunately however it isn't an option at the moment as we're actually using the QuickTime plugin in a web browser and would prefer not to use anything else simply because of it's installed base.  I guess that's a decision we may have to revisit :)

Thanks again,

Ken.