[Live-devel] Proxy Server Debugging

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Nov 17 23:48:06 PST 2013

> So I have verified the source device is streaming data.  I have connected to it's RTSP stream directly, using gstreamer and vlc.  I will connect the openRTSP to the source back-end when it fails and see if it works.

No!  You should test your back-end stream using "openRTSP" *FIRST*, before using a media player.  The reason for this is that media players usually do not give you a clear indication of what is going on.  (For example, "VLC" automatically - behind the scenes - requests RTP/RTCP-over-TCP streaming if RTP-over-UDP streaming appears to fail.  So you won't know whether or not you need to give the proxy server the "-t" option.)

NOTE TO EVERYONE:  When you're testing a RTSP stream to check whether it's available, "openRTSP" should be the *FIRST* thing that you try.  Only then should you try using a media player.

And it makes no sense to talk about "connecting openRTSP (or any other client) to a back-end stream when it fails", because that probably won't tell you anything.  You'd be requesting a whole new session.