[Live-devel] Is there a better command to use other than OPTION for keep-alive?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Nov 20 12:50:58 PST 2013

> I see that the OPTION command is used for keeping a stream alive.  I
> there a better command that can be used that can also indicate the
> stream is still running?

Not really.  Every server should support "OPTIONS".

("GET_PARAMETER" could also be used, but some servers don't support this.)

> // Choose a random time from [delayMax/2,delayMax) seconds:
>
> If delayMax is choosen, and a camera reports timeout=XX, should XX ever
> be used?

It *is* used - to compute "delayMax".  (Note the call to "sessionTimeoutParameter()", which returns this value.)

> I think a delayMax should never be used, but something less than the max?

The code does this - that's why the comment in the code says "[delayMax/2,delayMax)", rather than "[delayMax/2,delayMax]".

In any case, a standards-compliant server (e.g., network camera) should also be using RTCP "RR" packets - sent by the proxy server - to indicate liveness. It should not be relying just upon the periodic "OPTIONS" commands.

A reminder to everyone, once again: If anyone is having a problem with one particular third-party server or client, then I need to hear *directly* from the manufacturer of that third-party server or client.  (Via the "live-devel" mailing list is OK.)  I will not spend any time debugging (or attempting to 'work around') a buggy third-party server or client solely via an intermediary.