[Live-devel] continueAfterOPTIONS late

Craig Matsuura cmatsuura at vivint.com
Wed Nov 20 21:24:09 PST 2013

On 11/20/2013 08:59 PM, Ross Finlayson wrote:
If the continueAfterOPTIONS command is late (longer than the liveness
timeout) I assume the camera would time out and shutdown the session?  I
don't see anywhere in continueAfterLivenessCommand that it handles this?

Phew...
1/ The interval between two successive "OPTIONS" commands will almost never exceed the "timeout=" parameter that the server reported.  (A future release of the software will ensure that it *never* exceeds this - because the interval will be randomly chosen from "[delayMax/2,delayMax-1)" instead of the current "[delayMax/2,delayMax)".)
I made a similar change for the delayMax, but instead subtracted 10, because I would see latency when I was logging OPTION commands.  I have a extremely busy WIFI network for testing.
Thanks for that change as it is along the lines I was think and confirms what I was seeing.

2/ In any case, this shouldn't matter, because - as I've said AD NAUSEAM - the proxy server will send RTCP "RR" packets far more frequently than this, and standards-compliant (i.e., correctly implemented) server will use these as an indication that the proxy server is still alive.
3/ Should the camera "time out the shutdown the session" - for any reason - then the subsequent "OPTIONS" command from the proxy server will fail, and the proxy server will then reopen the connection.  That's the PRIMARY PURPOSE of the periodic "OPTIONS" commands: To check whether the server still thinks that the session is alive.