[Live-devel] What is the preferred way of terminating an RTSP server connection

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 22 07:28:38 PST 2013

> There's no easy way to terminate (from the server) just 'some' connections.  (What criterion would you use to decide which connections you want to terminate??)
>
> However, you can terminate *all* connections for a given stream by calling
> 	RTSPServer::closeAllClientSessionsForServerMediaSession()
>
> Plus, of course, if you delete the entire "RTSPServer" object - by calling "Medium::close(pointer-to-your-RTSPServer-object);" - then *all* connections to the server (and all resources used by the server) will be reclaimed.
>
> Ok thanks. What about stopGettingFrames in FramedSource? I'll try that one because I have easy access to that object.

(I assume that you're referring to the data source object for your stream?)  Calling "stopGettingFrames()" on that object will stop data (and thus RTP packets) from flowing, but it won't tear down any connections to clients.

You haven't said anything about *which* connections you want to terminate, and why.  If you're worried only about terminating connections to 'dead' clients (i.e., clients that just disappear, without sending a RTSP "TEARDOWN"), then you don't need to worry.  The server will automatically close (and reclaim resources for) those connections after a period of time (by default, 65 seconds).

http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#doc

> A reference manual would also be great.

Yes, that would be great.  But this is not a charity :-)