[Live-devel] Sony SNC-RZ50N RTSP stream stopping

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Nov 22 18:47:27 PST 2013

> I am using openRTSP to receive a H.264 stream from a Sony SNC-RZ50N camera.  All goes fine but around the time I get 8MB of data the video disappears.  This is because the camera stops sending it (I confirmed through Wireshark).  However the RTCP packets seem to be still going.
>
> I use VLC to stream from the same camera and it seems to stream on forever.  I do realize VLC uses Live555 so unsure why it behaves differently.

It may be because VLC also sends periodic (null) "GET_PARAMETER" commands, whereas openRTSP does not.  The camera is probably using these "GET_PARAMETER" commands as a sign that the client is still alive.

The basic problem is that the "Sony SNC-RZ50N camera" is buggy.  It should be using incoming RTCP "RR" packets - from the client - as a sign of client liveness.

PLEASE REPORT THIS BUG TO SONY, and ask them to fix their camera.  (I presume that you've already checked whether a firmware upgrade is available.)