[Live-devel] Live 555 2013 Licensing

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 11 11:54:36 PDT 2013

I have never said that "some of the restrictions placed by LGPL are not valid".  The LGPL license remains fully valid.

What I have said, however, is that I do not personally have an objection to "LIVE555 Streaming Media" code being linked statically, especially within iOS applications - which apparently is the only way that iOS applications can make use of the code.

However, I obviously can't make any guarantees about how others might view this - e.g., if this software (or company) were to change ownership sometime down the road.

In any case, I also consider it very important that any developer of a product that uses this software be willing to - upon request - upgrade it to use the latest version of the software.

In general, questions about software copyright and licensing are best handled by personal email - after consulting your company's legal department - rather than on this mailing list (which is intended mainly for programming questions, and whose members are usually programmers rather than lawyers).