[Live-devel] DeviceSource Translate large frames (fNumTruncatedBytes)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Oct 15 04:10:43 PDT 2013

> “*any* of these packets gets lost,”
>
> Some questions:
> Does it mean that RPT protocol is  unreliable?

Yes.  RTP packets sent over UDP (as they usually are) are unreliable.

> So, if  'slices' (NAL units) would be delivered through RPT,  can they be lost too?
> Why the 'slices' way is more reliable?

Because even if one slice of a picture is lost, the other slices of the picture will get delivered, and (depending on the decoder) should be able to get rendered and displayed.

> Is a unreliable transmission normal (reality)?

It depends upon your network.  Usually, lost packets happen infrequently.

> In what object I must realize 'slices' technology?

You would reconfigure your encoder to generate each 'key frame' as a sequence of 'slice' NAL units, instead of as a single NAL unit.