[Live-devel] Modifications to the RTSP "REGISTER" command and API

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Oct 18 11:01:10 PDT 2013

>> - Proxy Server -T option does not allow for specifying a unique port per stream. In NAT cases streams would have different ports. Would it be possible to have this option for streams that will be using RTSP over HTTP.
>
> FYI, right now back-end RTP/RTCP-over-RTSP-over-HTTP tunneling works only for 'back-end' streams that are specified on the command line.  It does *not* work for 'back-end' streams that have been "REGISTER"ed (even if the "-T <http-port-num>" option was given on the command line).

The reason for this, BTW, is that the primary intended purpose for the new "REGISTER" command was to allow a back-end server to register it's *own* stream, using the "RTSPServer::registerStream()" method, and to allow the receiving client (or proxy server) to reuse the TCP connection on which the "REGISTER" command was sent.  If this is done, then you don't need RTP/RTCP-over-RTSP-over-HTTP tunneling at all, because you already have a TCP connection set up.  You can just to RTP/RTCP-over-RTSP tunneling (over that same TCP connection) instead.

The way that you're using the "REGISTER" command - to allow a 3rd party to register a back-end stream with a proxy server - is a nice way to use the mechanism, but it wasn't my primary purpose for developing it.