[Live-devel] doubled framerate necessary to correctly capture RTSP stream using openRTSP

VTMusicAdmin admin at music.vt.edu
Thu Oct 31 12:07:40 PDT 2013

I am experiencing an issue with openRTSP for which I've not yet
been able to find an explanation.  If there is a more
appropriate forum for this or a FAQ I have missed, please let me
know.  I'm attempting to use openRTSP to capture and record the
RTSP stream from an Extron SME-100 live streaming hardware
encoder.  The encoder is configured with a frame rate / GOP
length of 30 fps, yet if I set openRTSP with a frame rate of 30
like this:

     openRTSP -d 300 -4 -w 640 -h 360 -f 30 -Q rtsp://URL >
test.mp4 (or)
     openRTSP -d 300 -q -w 640 -h 360 -f 30 -Q rtsp://URL > test.mov

The video is the incorrect speed and does not match the audio.
If however, I set openRTSP with a frame rate of 60 with:

     openRTSP -d 300 -4 -w 640 -h 360 -f 60 -Q rtsp://URL >
test.mp4 (or)
     openRTSP -d 300 -q -w 640 -h 360 -f 60 -Q rtsp://URL > test.mov

The video is captured correctly and is synchronous with the
audio for the duration of the capture.  This is a perfectly
viable work-around, but I'm curious about why openRTSP only
seems to work as expected when set to capture at a 2x (actual)
frame rate.  Am I misunderstanding something about the use of
openRTSP or the process by any chance?   Anny insight that can
be offered into this situation would be greatly appreciated;
thank you!

--
-- Michael Dunston
-- Music and Technology