[Live-devel] mediaServer MP4 support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Sep 19 22:42:15 PDT 2013

> Doesn't MKV have the same stream rate prediction problems as TS?

No, because it (unlike MP4, FYI) stores timestamps along with each frame.

But in any case - as I'll explain in my next email - the "stream rate prediction" issue turns out to be a 'red herring'.

> MP4 and Matroska will also be a step backwards in terms of trick play support, wouldn't they?

I don't know about the MP4 format, but seeking within a Matroska file is trivial, and our server already supports it.  Fast-forward and reverse play might also be possible to implement when streaming from Matroska files (perhaps only for some codecs), but we don't currently implement that.