[Live-devel] mediaServer MP4 support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Sep 21 00:08:34 PDT 2013

> From Matroska developpers:
>
> "Live streaming is the equivalent of TV broadcasting on the internet. There are 2 families of servers for that. The RTP/RTSP ones and the HTTP servers. Matroska is not meant to be used over RTP. RTP already has timing and channel mechanisms that would wasted if doubled in Matroska."

They're talking about streaming a Matroska *file*, which obviously (as they note) doesn't make sense to do via RTP.  (In particular, there's no RTP payload format defined that would make this possible.)  This would also be the case for streaming MP4 files, BTW.

What we implement, however, is streaming *from* a Matroska file (rather than streaming the file itself).  I.e., we demultiplex each track of the file (audio, video, text (subtitles)), and stream each demultiplexed track using an appropriate RTP payload format, and with appropriate timestamps so that a receiving client can resynchronize them.  (This also makes it possible for the server (or client) to stream only some tracks of the file, if desired.)