[Live-devel] Making ProxyServerMediaSubsession stream to multicast addresses

Jan Ekholm jan.ekholm at d-pointer.com
Sun Apr 6 23:21:03 PDT 2014

On 7 apr 2014, at 00:37, Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> wrote:

>> So OnDemandServerMediaSubsession and its subclasses are always for unicast streaming while PassiveServerMediaSubsession can perform
>> multicast streaming?
>
> Yes.

Ok, that clears it up a bit. And as PassiveServerMediaSubsession would multicast it would do it all the time, regardless of
if anyone actually receives the stream, right? Not all of the backend cameras are interesting all the time though, so this also
requires some consideration as network bandwidth is finite after all.

>> I guess it's not as simple as making a version of ProxyServerMediaSubsession that  is based on
>> PassiveServerMediaSubsession instead?
>
> You could certainly do that, but then that would be your own code, and therefore probably not something that I could help you with (at least, not for free) on this mailing list.

Indeed, I understand that.

--
Jan Ekholm
jan.ekholm at d-pointer.com