[Live-devel] Regarding trick mode files

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Apr 21 21:09:07 PDT 2014

> The output ( x4, x15, x60 and x300 ) of the MPEG4 HD file plays out ok in VLC.

By this I presume you meant that you used the "testMPEG2TransportStreamTrickPlay" utility to generate Transport Stream files (corresponding to various fast-forward speeds of the original), and played these files locally using VLC.

The Transport Stream data in these files are exactly the same as the data that the "LIVE555 Media Server" streams when asked to 'fast-forward' at the same speed.  Therefore, the problem must be in either your STB clients, or the network.

I suspect that at least part of the problem is that the 'faster' streams are being sent at a higher bitrate (because they consist only of large 'key frames').  Network congestion and/or packet loss may be the cause of some of the problems that you're seeing with your network clients.