[Live-devel] socket blocking mode

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Apr 23 08:50:57 PDT 2014

> We found a problem that when we use two clients (VLC) on two PC to stream the live555 based camera (H264 video). One uses TCP mode and another uses UDP mode.
> When we disconnect the network cable on TCP mode PC, the UDP stream on another PC stopped at the same time.
>
> We found the problem is due to making TCP in blocking mode in sendDataOverTCP().

This is important, because it fixed a serious bug.  See
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2013-June/017137.html
The blocking write to the TCP socket - which is done only in rare circumstances (when a non-blocking write of packet data succeeded in writing only part of the data) - should be very brief.  If it's not, then your network is seriously congested, and your data stream is exceeding the capacity of your network.

> We reverted to older live555 (2012-05-17)

Old versions of the "LIVE555 Streaming Media" software are never supported.  Also, a reminder that under the terms of the LGPL, you must, upon request, upgrade your product to use the latest version of the software (or else provide a way for customers to perform this upgrade themselves).