[Live-devel] low perfomance in "onDemandRTSPServer" when connecting with multiple clients

David Bueno Monge david.bueno at scati.com
Thu Apr 24 07:24:22 PDT 2014

Thanks for your reply, and sorry it took me so long to write back...

Probably my data source implementation has some problems, but I have tested
the testOnDemandRTSPServer program with different kind of videos and this
is what i got:

With large resolution videos (1920x1080) the server starts showing critical
problems when about 4 or 5 clients request the same video (Boolean
reuseFirstSource = True). These critical problems mean the streaming gets
freezed.

With less resolution (1280x960), the number of clients connected can be
higher, but never more than 10 clients asking for the same video.

If I set reuseFirstSource = False, the performance rises a little, but
meaning only that few more clients can connect to the server before
performance troubles begin.

I am using VLC as client, and stremaing H264.

The %CPU and memory used still are very low.

Is there anything that could increase the performance?? I cannot use
sources with less resolution...

I have worked for some time with the client side of the Live555 library,
connecting with large numbers of live sources wihtout these kind of
problems...

Thanks.

> I have developed a RTSP server based on the example found
> in testOnDemandRTSPServer.cpp. The application can stream data from files
> and also from different live sources (to do that i'm using an RTSP client
> which i developed some time ago, also based on the Live555 library).
>

> FYI, you could also use our "testRTSPClient" demo application for this.
>  It can stream from multiple "rtsp://" URLs concurrently.
>

> I have implemented my own "FramedSource" subclass and differents
> subclasses of "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" depending on the video
> encoding.
>
> The application works fine when just one client is connected to the
> server, even with high resolution videos. However, when more clients
> connect to the different sessions added to the RTSPServer instance of my
> server, the performance decreases a lot.
>
> I am talking that just with two clients connected, the rate at which the
> server stream the input of two different sources is really low.
>
> There is no network problem, this happens also in a local scenario (server
> and clients running in the same machine).
>
> The %CPU and memory used by the server are very low also, so, the problem
> does not come from the machine running the server.
>

> That's strange.  I suspect that the problem is (somehow) related to your
> 'data source' implementation - i.e., your "FramedSource" subclass.
>
> What happens when you don't just 'base' your server on
> "testOnDemandRTSPServer", but actually use the (original, unmodified)
> "testOnDemandRTSPServer" code?  What happens when two clients request the
> same stream (from a file)?  And do things change at all when you change
> your server to use a single input source for all concurrent clients - i.e.,
> if you change line 29 of "testOnDemandRTSPServer.cpp" to
> Boolean reuseFirstSource = True;
> ?
>

> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/

*David Bueno Monge*Software Engineer

Skype dbueno_scati
*------------------------------*[image:
http://www.scati.com]<http://www.scati.com/>

T +34 902 116 095

F +34 976 466 580
*------------------------------*

Bari, 23
Plataforma Logística PLAZA

50.197 Zaragoza (Spain)

*www.scati.com <http://www.scati.com/>*

*Disclaimer:*
This e-mail (including any attached documents) is proprietary and
confidential and may contain legally privileged information. It is intended
for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you
may not review, retain, copy or distribute this message, and we kindly ask
you to notify the sender by e-mail immediately and delete this message from
your system.

*Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
e-mail.*