[Live-devel] Live555 libraries for Macosx - 32 bit Issue

Sudhir Potnuru Sudhir_Potnuru at mindtree.com
Fri Aug 1 06:18:04 PDT 2014

Hi All,

We are working on developing a RTSP client application in QT platform which can be ported on both Windows and Mac OS 32bit.
We have successfully build the live555 libraries for Windows platform and integrated the same in our application.

Now we are working on building the live555 libraries for Mac OS 32 bit (10.9 OSX) to integrate the libraries to our application on Mac OS.
We followed the steps specified in the link http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/#testProgs  under "How to configure and build the code on Unix (including Linux, Mac OS X, QNX, and other Posix-compliant systems)"
We have generated the libraries for MacOS by using config.macosx-32bit configuration file.

We are facing an issue after including the 4 libraries (libliveMedia.a, libgroupsock.a, libBasicUsageEnvironment.a, libUsageEnvironment.a) in our application (.pro file). We are getting following error on building our project.
Undefined symbols for architecture i386:
  "RTSPClient::RTSPClient(UsageEnvironment&, char const*, int, char const*, unsigned short)", referenced from:
      OURRTSPClient::OURRTSPClient(UsageEnvironment&, char const*, int, char const*, unsigned short) in OURRTSPClient.o
     (maybe you meant: __ZN10RTSPClientC2ER16UsageEnvironmentPKciS3_ti)
  "BasicTaskScheduler::createNew()", referenced from:
      CRTPDataReceiver::CreateTaskScheduler() in RTPDataReceiver.o
  "MediaSubsessionIterator::MediaSubsessionIterator(MediaSession&)", referenced from:
      CRTPDataReceiver::ContinueAfterDescribe(RTSPClient*, int, char*) in RTPDataReceiver.o
      CRTPDataReceiver::ShutdownStream(RTSPClient*, int) in RTPDataReceiver.o
      CRTPDataReceiver::SubsessionAfterPlaying(void*) in RTPDataReceiver.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture i386
make: ***

We have cross checked that libraries built are for architecture i386 but these files are non-fat libraries. We would like to know will there be any difference between non-fat files and fat files.

We would like to know the actual reason for this issue and it will be very helpful if we get any solution for this.

Thanks in Advance,
Sudhir