[Live-devel] Empty data file with the "-S <byte-offset>" option

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Aug 6 07:27:38 PDT 2014

> I'd like to use openRTPS to receive the RTSP stream of my IP cam.
>
> The first try failed becouse of the following error:
>  "Unable to create receiver for "video/MJPEG" subsession: RTP payload
> format unknown or not supported"

This appears to be a bug in your IP camera.  The IETF has not defined a RTP payload format named "MPEG".  Perhaps they meant "JPEG"?

> Then I put the option '-S 5' and the connection was succesfully created:
>  Setup "video/MJPEG" subsession (client ports 55546-55547)
>  Created output file: "video-MJPEG-1"
>  Sending request: PLAY rtsp://192.168.100.1:1554/profile/1/local.sdp/ RTSP/1.0
>
> but the output file: "video-MJPEG-1" is empty

See http://www.live555.com/liveMedia/faq.html#openRTSP-empty-files

Try adding the "-t" option to RTSP.

If this still doesn't work, then please send us the complete RTSP protocol exchange (i.e., printed by "openRTSP" to 'stderr'), and we'll take a look at it, to see if it tells us anything.