[Live-devel] OpenRTSP Frame Loss When Streaming Multiple Cameras

Alix Frombach frombach002 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 10:36:41 PDT 2014

Hello,

I am seeing an issue when running multiple instances of openRTSP to capture
h.264 data from multiple IP cameras.  I am using command line options to
allow openRTSP to save the data into 12 second periodic files.  I have
openRTSP compiled and running on QNX 6.5.0 and can stream data from one and
two cameras with no issues.  When I stream with 3 or more cameras however,
I notice the library is not receiving all the frames.  This grows worse the
more cameras (and subsequently instances of openRTSP) I am streaming from.

Here is a rundown of the testing I have done so far which lead me to
believe a library issue.  The issue is not network related as running
simultaneous instances of wireshark both on and offboard show identical
data.  The issue is not CPU related as CPU monitoring shows less than 25%
usage for all applications running on the system.  The issue is not a file
write speed limitation as the writes are no where near the max of the
system.

I have placed some debugging within openRTSP to allow me to keep a counter
of how many frames are received.  It is observable to notice a loss of
frames received as we start streaming from more cameras as well as a delay
in receiving frames (rather than constantly receiving them when only
streaming from 1-2 cameras).

Is this something that has been observed before?  Any reason separate
instances of openRTSP would cause an issue when running simultaneously?

Thanks in advance for the help