[Live-devel] Streaming JPEG over RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Aug 17 13:43:11 PDT 2014

> Thanks for the timely reply.

No, it wasn't a "timely reply".  My reply was deliberately delayed by about a day because you use an unprofessional email address.  (As explained in the FAQ, if you want to be taken seriously on this mailing list, you should use a professional email address.  This software is not intended for casual hobbyists.)

> Now the the RTSP server to stream JPEG/RTP is ready and I am able to stream this over a player like VLC.
> The problem I am facing now is that  if I use a client such as testRTSPClient and try to store the fReceiveBuffer to a .jpg file, the jpg file is unreadable using a image viewer.

If you're receiving a JPEG/RTP stream using "testRTSPClient", then when you enter the "DummySink::afterGettingFrame()" function ("testRTSPClient.cpp", line 502), then "fReceiveBuffer" should point to a complete JPEG image, of size "frameSize".  (You should make sure, though, that "numTruncatedBytes" is zero; if it's not, then you'll need to increase "DUMMY_SINK_RECEIVE_BUFFER_SIZE" accordingly.)

Alternatively, as I explained before, you can just run "openRTSP" with the "-m" option to record each incoming frame as a separate file (in this case, a JPEG image).