[Live-devel] Breakup with mips port

Anthony Desmarais Anthony.Desmarais at altech-multimedia.com
Mon Dec 1 00:56:17 PST 2014

Hi can I possibly get some advice from the experts here.

We are porting the live555 server to one of our embedded devices (set top box) with the intention to be able to multicast a service received via DVB-T to clients on the wifi network using rtp.
The target server is a Broadcom based system running linux 3.3.8 kernel.

The first step is to cross compile the test programs and verify functionality streaming a file from the devices hard drive over the wifi network.
Porting to mips was straight forward thanks to a well thought out configuration option on your teams side. The only change required to compile was to add -DLOCALE_NOT_USED to the configuration file.
I used the config.armlinux as a base to create a config.mips with the ony change required being to change the compiler to CROSS_COMPILE?=        mipsel-linux-

Using the test transport stream from the live555 website "bipbop-gear1-all.ts" I ran the program testMPEG2TransportStreamer
Using a windows VLC client I could not play the file back however when I switched to an android client on a tablet (Media Plaver by video experts group) I managed to receive the stream.

Problem is that with this stream I get a significant amount of video breakup, if I switch to a higher bitrate stream I get enough breakup to no be able to run video at all.

Using a PC I did a tcpdump of the multicast and playing back this dump with a windows player I get the same breakup, so this then rules out the android client.

I am now working on getting a wired ethernet port to run on this platform so that I may rule out packet loss from the wifi side.
If this proves to be the same then I need to look at what is happening in the live555 side.
Can I ask for any pointers in where may be a good place to look? Does the framework try to perform any sort of transcoding or repacking of the stream, and if so where about can I look at that?

Today I modified the code in groupsock.cpp to write output to the disk rather than to the network. When I attempt to playback this written file I get the same picture breakup so I am now confident that the losses are somewhere in the live555 framework, but I am not sure where else to look.

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Anthony Desmarais, Team Leader: Software Platforms
Altech Multimedia International (Pty) Ltd, Registration 1984/003805/07
PO Box 54, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, South Africa
UEC House, 1 Montgomery Drive, Mount Edgecombe, South Africa
+27 (0) 31 508 2710 (direct)
+27 (0) 31 539 5258 (fax)
+27 (0) 83 390 1706 (mobile)
anthony.desmarais at altech-multimedia.com<mailto:anthony.desmarais at altech-multimedia.com>
www.altech-multimedia.com<http://www.altech-multimedia.com>

[SA Technology Top 100]

E-Mail Disclaimer: www.altron.co.za/email.asp<http://www.altron.co.za/email.asp>
Should you have any questions regarding this e-mail legal notice please contact us on
1. Telephone number : +27315082800
2. Fax number : +2731539 3370
3. E-mail address: info at altech-multimedia.com