[Live-devel] Problem using live555MediaServer with more than 250 clients

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 10 06:19:58 PST 2014

> In order to avoid to reach the abort, I try an extra sanity check inside BasicTaskScheduler::setBackgroundHandling
> void BasicTaskScheduler::setBackgroundHandling(int socketNum, int conditionSet, BackgroundHandlerProc* handlerrProc, void * clientData) {
> if ( (socketNum <0) || (socketNum >= FD_SETSIZE) ) return;

Maybe, but I’m not convinced that this would really be useful, as the current code should already make sure (at a higher level) that “setBackgroundHandling()” (or “turnOnBackgroundReadHandling()”, which calls “setBackgroundHandling()”) does not get called with a socket number <0.  Also, it should never get called with a socket number >= FD_SETSIZE, because socket numbers this large should never have been given out (i.e., returned as a result of a “socket()” call) in the first place!

Also, let me remind people once again that the number of sockets used by each stream can be reduced from 2 (RTP,RTCP) to 1 (RTP-muxed-with-RTCP) if both the server and client support this; see
	http://lists.live555.com/pipermail/live-devel/2014-March/018179.html