[Live-devel] Problem using live555MediaServer with more than 250 clients

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Dec 10 18:22:07 PST 2014

> Yes, I suppose I could add a test for “socketNum >= FD_SETSIZE” to “BasicTaskScheduler::setBackgroundHandling()” (note that there’s already a test for “socketNum < 0”).  I would have thought/hoped that FD_SET() would have already tested for this, but perhaps not...
>
> This is all assuming that it’s better to have the code just silently fail to handle events on any sockets with number > FD_SETSIZE, than to fail with an “internalError()” call in this case (due to “select()” having returned <0).

Actually, thinking about this some more - this is the reason why I *won’t* be adding this test.  It really is an ‘internal error’, so the code should report it as such - rather than ‘failing silently’.  (As I noted before, people can redefine the “internalError()” function to do whatever they want, if they don’t like the “abort()”.)