[Live-devel] difference between test*Streamer and testOnDemandRTSPServer model

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sat Dec 13 18:46:42 PST 2014

> On Dec 13, 2014, at 3:22 AM, Rachit shah <rachit81 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We are looking use Live555 streaming media library on Android and Linux Platform.

Do ‘we’ not have our own domain name? :-)

> Product should support unicast as well multicast so in that case which model is better to follow ?

I presume (although you haven’t stated explicitly) that you want a server that will deliver the stream via multicast to multicast-reachable clients (i.e., those on the same LAN), and via unicast to other clients.

To do this, you would create a RTSP server, and add two "ServerMediaSession”s to it: One for multicast delivery; the other for multi-unicast delivery.

To the first “ServerMediaSession”, you’d add a “PassiveServerMediaSubsession” (for multicast).
To the second “ServerMediaSession”, you’d add your own “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession” subclass, with the “reuseFirstSource” parameter set to “True”.  (This is explained in the FAQ.)

You will probably also need to replicate your input stream, feeding one replica to the multicast stream, and the other replica to your “OnDemandServerMediaSubsession” subclass (in your “createNewStreamSource()” implementation).  You can do this using the “StreamReplica” class.