[Live-devel] regarding test app MPEG2TransportStreamIndexer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Sun Feb 9 09:01:42 PST 2014

> Unfortunately i can't share my Transport Stream due to same confidential reason.

Perhaps it's the same "confidential reason" why you use an unprofessional email address :-)

It's hard to debug a problem if you won't provide an example of a file that illustrates the problem.  Especially since this software is being provided 'for free'.

Fortunately, however, Warren Young sent me examples of some other files that have the same problem.

I found that the problem (for our indexing software) with these files is that some of the (188-byte) Transport Packets have the "payload_unit_start_indicator" flag set, but the payload (after the 'adaptation field') does not begin a PES packet (i.e., does not begin with 0x00 0x00 0x01).

A QUESTION FOR MPEG TRANSPORT STREAM EXPERTS:
Do you know why this is happening?  I.e., what are these non-PES packet payloads, if the "payload_unit_start_indicator" flag is set?

(I could easily modify our indexing software to ignore payloads (when the "payload_unit_start_indicator" flag is set) that don't start with 0x00 0x00 0x01.  However, I'm afraid that if I did this, I might be missing out on some legitimate PES packet headers that start elsewhere within the payload.  I.e., I'd prefer to understand exactly what these non-PES packet payloads are.