[Live-devel] HEVC problem with start code ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Feb 18 14:00:24 PST 2014

> I made some tries with http://www.elecard.com/assets/files/other/clips/surfing.265 andhttp://www.elecard.com/assets/files/other/clips/Sintel_272p_logo.265
>
> Using live555MediaServer to stream the file and openRTSP to record the stream.
> The resulting file is no more readable (for instance using VLC 2.1.3) as the original was.

So what?  For the bazillionth time: VLC is not our software!  VLC not being able to play a file usually has nothing to do with us.

But, FWIW...  My copy of VLC (2.1.3, running on Mac OS X) plays the "surfing.265" clip OK, but does not play the "Sintel_272p_logo.265" file at.  Again, not our problem.  Complain to a VLC mailing list about that.

I tried running "openRTSP" to record the "surfing.265" file, streamed from a "LIVE555 Media Server".  Strangely, after renaming the output file "video-H265-1" to have a ".265" filename suffix[*], VLC was unable to play the resulting file.  As you noted, the only difference between the two files is that:
1/ The first NAL unit ("SPS") begins with 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 rather than 0x00 0x00 0x01.  But that's not the problem, because VLC wouldn't play the file even when I deleted the first 0x00.
2/ The resulting file contains an extra copy of the "SPS", "PPS", and "VPS" NAL units at the start.  ("openRTSP" (via the "H265VideoFileSink" class) adds these three NAL units at the start of the output file, in case they didn't appear in the stream itself.)  This shouldn't be a problem for VLC (or at least, for whatever H.265 codec that it uses), but apparently it is.  But once again - that's not our problem.  Complain to a VLC mailing list about that.

[*] For some dumb reason, VLC can play H.265 files with either a ".265" or ".h265" filename suffix, but can play H.264 files with only a ".h264" filename suffix - not a ".264" filename suffix.   Complain to a VLC mailing list about that.