[Live-devel] Overuse of CPU in binaries of CYGWIN

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Feb 19 23:53:15 PST 2014

> It is possible that Live555 is using the POSIX layer in a way that particularly annoys Cygwin, but I'd say the burden is on you to prove that, given that the library performs well on every other POSIXy OS.
>
> Cygwin tries very hard to be as minimal a layer between your program and the Windows kernel as it can be, but in certain places, it has to be thicker than we'd like to emulate the POSIX semantics programs built on Cygwin expect, in terms of the Windows kernel API, which often isn't implemented with POSIX-like semantics.  I/O is one of these places, and Live555 is all about I/O.

I must admit that I don't understand why so many people are trying to develop server applications (LIVE555-based or otherwise) on Windows.  The Windows OS is not well-suited for running servers.

I can understand people wanting to develop *client* applications for Windows, as there are still a lot of Windows PCs/laptops out there.  But if you're developing a server, then a Unix-based platform (and by "Unix-based", I include Linux and Mac OS X) is usually a much better choice.