[Live-devel] Changes to make it easier to subclass ServerMediaSession and set packet buffer size

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Feb 21 16:40:56 PST 2014

> Yes, ONVIF have added some extensions to achieve their goals. My understanding is that these extensions are allowed by the SDP and RTP standards. In case you are interested, I believe the ONVIF objective is to represent a set of non-contiguous media clips as a single container (a bit like a VOB but without the continuity of chapters). Imagine two video clips with duration T1 to T2 and T3 to T4 then the SDP would return a duration of T4-T1.

If you like, feel free to post a specific example of the type of SDP that you want your server to be able to handle, along with a reference to a document that describes the intended semantics of this uses of SDP.

> During replay, the RTP timestamp header extension is used to indicate to the client the discontinuity at the T2 to T3 boundary. I don’t think it’s intended for human viewing in a player but for transfer of recordings from a camera to an archiver. I think this uses a valid timestamp header extension of the RTP spec but “bends” the SDP specification as it is not envisaged but not forbidden.

OK, then you're definitely out of luck (for now), because we currently don't implement RTP header extensions.

> However it is an unusual use case so is probably not of interest to the majority of LIVE555 stakeholders.

I am the only "LIVE555 stakeholder" :-)