[Live-devel] Problem with recording incoming RTSP streams

Ehsan Adeli eadeli at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 07:27:31 PST 2014

Hello,

I am using live555 and the openRTSP program to record videos from IP
cameras. But some cameras, dependent to the network condition and their
settings, sometimes stream videos with less frame-rates as specified in
their profile settings (They drop frames or quality to meet network
requirements). But when I am recording and saving the incoming stream to
mp4 files, openRTSP sets the frame-rate as specified by the SDP, or the
default value, or set by -f option. That causes the recorded video not play
properly. I have tried recording with VLC without any transcoding, and it
sets the frame-rate correctly.

Do you have any ideas how this could be solved? Can I set the mp4 file to
be VFR? Or can I re-set the framerate after the recording is finished in
the mp4 file? BTW, I know one naive solution would be re-encoding the file,
but anyways, can it be done without encoding/decoding?

Thank you all.

Regards,
Ehsan