[Live-devel] Group Sockets select to poll() port

Sergey Kuprienko demthedj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 22:38:48 PST 2014

1) In high-load app it is not. For example, I'm starting capturing after
storage, IPC, streaming servers and many other stuff initialized - so i'm
running out of FD_SETSIZE very fast. I'm recommed you to implement patch -
it's quite simple and local.
2) Ok, posting a link to code at blog would be acceptable ?

2014/1/24 Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com>

> On Jan 22, 2014, at 6:37 AM, Sergey Kuprienko <demthedj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've faced problems using live555 to capture many streams per process.
> The source is select() calls. It can't accept fd index more than
> FD_SETSIZE ( 1024 on most distros).
>
> I've made some patches to code and i believe it would be useful
> Sorry, if i've choosed wrong way to send a patch, but cannot found right
> way to post it on site.
>
> 1) GroupsockHelper.cpp :
>

> This change probably doesn't need to be made, because this code (to find
> the application's local IP address) is executed only once, when the process
> starts running.  At that time you'll almost certainly have a low socket
> number, so the "select()" call should always work.
>

> 2) I've made poll()-based task scheduler - how can I post it the best way ?
>

> If you've written your own task scheduler simply by defining your own new
> subclass of "TaskScheduler" - rather than by modifying the existing
> "BasicTaskScheduler" code, then you can - if you wish - simply post your
> code.  There should be any 'patches' here, because you should not have
> modified the existing code.
>
> Ross Finlayson
> Live Networks, Inc.
> http://www.live555.com/