[Live-devel] use ServerMediaSubsession for RTP & RTCP streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 15 07:35:24 PDT 2014

> Now I am trying to achieve is to be able to stream the same source via RTSP (to any client that connects to the rtsp url) and via an static RTP/RTCP session (by static I mean that I want the server to stream to an specific IP and port, passed as a command argument for instance).

Reading this again, I suspect that - because, in the second case, your clients won't be using RTSP - you wouldn't use a "PassiveServerMediaSubsession", or *any* subclass of "ServerMediaSubsession" for this.  (The "ServerMediaS*ession" classes are used specifically to implement RTSP servers.)

Instead, I suspect that you'll want to 'replicate' your original stream source using the "StreamReplicator" class (see the "testReplicator" demo application for an example of how to use this).  One replica will be used as a source to your "OnDemandServerMediaSubsession" subclass (with "reuseFirstSource" as "True") - for streaming to your normal RTSP clients.  The other replica would be fed directly into a "RTPSink" (subclass) object that you'd create (along with a "RTCPInstance") as a result of your command-line argument.

But anyway, why bother streaming "to an specific IP and port, passed as a command argument for instance"?  Why complicate your life unnecessarily?  Why not just use RTSP for everything?