[Live-devel] How to mke a URL with username & password?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Tue Jul 29 02:01:01 PDT 2014

> If I use the Authentication in the rtspsverver (as define ACCESS_CONTROL in testOnDemandRTSPServer.cpp), how could I make the url with the user name and password?
> We use the testOnDemandRTSPServer as rtsp server,  and vlc as the client, use the url rtsp://IP:port/test.h264 to play, then vlc show a username & password input dialog.
> Even we use the url  rtsp://IP:port/test.h264&user=username&password=password to play, the input dialog show all the same.
>
> Could anyone tell me how to make the url with username & password?

"rtsp://username:password@IP:port/test.264" should work.  (Note that "testOnDemandRTSPServer" uses "test.264", not "test.h264" as the stream name.)

I don't recommend this, however, because the user name and password will be sent over the Internet 'in the clear'.  It's better to omit the username and password, and let VLC's GUI pop up a dialog for you to enter these; then they won't get sent over the Internet.