[Live-devel] streaming multiple videos with multiple streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Thu Jun 5 03:04:46 PDT 2014

> I am working on a direct show filter, which can stream multiple types of video/audio streams. It works well, if I use only one instance. My basic test scenario is to stream a video and view it in VLC. But if I use 4 instances of the filter in same graph I have problems. If I try to open streams in my computer, I can open all four streams, but after a while strange things happen: streams stop to play and I loose my net connection for a while (after I kill my streaming test scenario, my network will be restored in 1 minute). If I try to open the streams on another computer, I can open only 1 or 2 in VLC, 3rd instance can't connect.

Problems like this are usually caused by underlying network capacity problems, rather than problems with our software.  I.e., it appears that your network simply does not have the capacity to carry the number of streams that you are attempting to send.

(In particular, if your network is WiFi, note that multicast generally performs very poorly over WiFi networks.)