[Live-devel] resuming a live stream with (old) buffered frames in pipeline

Robert Smith smith at cognitec.com
Thu Jun 5 07:47:56 PDT 2014

Hi, I am capturing video from a live camera, encoding to H264 and streaming via the live555 RTSP server.

The problem I have is that multiple frames are buffered in the pipeline between the camera and the server which means that when a unicast client connects, the first frames that they get are usually very old, followed by recent frames.

VLC drops a lot of frames when I play the stream, resulting in either a frozen image or very choppy video.

I get the following messages:

"VLC: picture is too late to be displayed"

and

"more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)"

I suppose that the proper way to deal with this would be to pause the pipeline when there are no unicast clients and flush the buffered frames but I before I do this I wanted to get your advice in case there is a simpler alternative that doesn't require modifications to our legacy code.

Shouldn't RTCP automatically re-synchronise this anyway?

Regards,

Robert Smith.