[Live-devel] Starting Frames are corrupted

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Wed Jun 18 10:48:12 PDT 2014

> In any case, 900000 bytes is an *insanely large* NAL unit (I-frame) size!!  A NAL unit this large will get fragmented into *60* RTP packets

Correction: 600 packets!

> and *all* of these RTP packets must be received by the receiving application, otherwise the entire frame will be unrenderable.  This is why it's much better to reconfigure your encoder so that it breaks up large I-frames into smaller 'slice' NAL units.

Please, everybody.  If you can't reconfigure your encoder to break up large I-frames into smaller 'slice' NAL units, then please put pressure on your encoder manufacturer to get them to make this possible.  They need to understand that excessively large NAL units are bad for (datagram) streaming.